Module 06 Assignment
Multidimensional Care IV
Submit your completed assignment by following the directions below. You must include 2-3 refences from scholarly sources and a reference list in APA format at the end of this document. Answers should be appropriately cited, in full sentences, and double-spaced per APA format. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.
Save your assignment as a Microsoft Word document. (Mac users, please remember to append the “.docx” extension to the filename.) The name of the file should be your first initial and last name, followed by an underscore and the name of the assignment, and an underscore and the date. An example is shown below:
You are working the night shift on a medical-surgical unit. Your assignment includes a 19-year-old woman admitted early this morning. She has sustained burns over 30% of her body surface area, with partial-thickness burns on her legs and back.
Discuss the following:
1. The staff are following the Parkland Formula for fluid resuscitation. The client arrived at 0200 and was admitted at 0400. She weighs 110 pounds. Calculate her fluid requirement, using the 4 ml Parkland formula. Explain the time intervals and amounts for each.
A) Calculate Parkland formula amounts and rates:
Total fluid replacement for 1st 24 hours:
1st half of fluid replacement (1st 8 hours):
Rate per hour:
2nd half of fluid replacement (next 16 hours):
Rate per hour:
B) Why is this time interval important for rescue of the burn victim?
2. The client was sleeping when the fire started and managed to make her way out of the house through thick smoke. You are concerned about possible smoke inhalation. What assessment finding would corroborate this concern?
3. The client is in severe pain. What is the drug of choice for pain relief and how should it be given? Are there any risks associated with these medications?
4. What nutritional requirements are necessary for the client’s burns to heal? What is the goal of nutrition therapy in post-burn care?
5. What measures are taken with the client suffering from burn injuries to prevent infection? What dressings may be used to prevent infection? Be sure to list and describe at least 3 types of dressings.
The rubric for the assignment can be viewed within Blackboard once you click the assignment. Under the “Points Possible” section next to the due date, there is a gray box with text “view rubric”.