For this week assignment, write a 1500-word essay addressing each of the following points/questions.
Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 10, which begins “The elderly patient resided at the nursing home for almost a year before she died at the hospital.”
• Did the lack of documentation in the admitting nurse’s assessment and notes affect the ultimate outcome of this case?
• Was there negligence on the part of the nursing staff in the care of this patient?
• What could the nurse have done differently to facilitate a different outcome in this case?
• How would you decide this case?
Using the sample professional liability insurance policy (Chapter 11 p. 191-192 Figure 11-1) locate the various provisions:
• Limits of liability
• Reservation of rights
• Covered injuries
• Defense costs
• Coverage conditions and supplementary payments
• Did you have difficulty finding some of the sections? Would this be a policy that you would consider purchasing for your own liability coverage? Why or why not?
Read the case study presented at the end of Chapter 11, You Be the Judge, which begins, “During an unexpected heat wave,…” (Guido, p. 195):
• What provisions of an insurance policy would you consult to determine if an insurance company should pay such a claim, and what would the limits of the liability be?
• Is the nursing home insurance company correct in saying that this is a professional judgment issue?
• Which insurance company (the nursing home’s or that of the administrator of the nursing home, assuming she has coverage) should pay the court-ordered judgment?
• How would you decide the case?
Please combine all of these responses into a single Microsoft Word document for submission
The book Resource center to locate the information is
Guido, G. W. (2020). Legal and ethical issues in nursing (7th ed.). Prentice Hall. ISBN: 9780134701233. Read Chapters 10 & 11.