MN 610 Midterm Alternative Assignment
Mrs. Czerny, age 72, is having difficulty learning the names of her new grandchildren and then got lost several times on the way to her local grocery store. Her family had noticed several years of increasing forgetfulness, but had thought that was part of aging. They have brought her in to see you because they are concerned about her safety.
•Weight: 178 lb; height: 5′2″; body mass index (BMI): 32.6 kg/m2
•Fasting capillary glucose: 166 mg/dl
•Blood pressure: lying, right arm 154/96 mmHg; sitting, right arm 140/90 mmHg
•Pulse: 88 bpm; respirations 20 per minute
1. What do you need to include in your physical assessment of Mrs. Czerny?
2. What diagnostic tests would you order?
3. List 4 differential diagnosis for this case study.
4. Explain the differences between delirium and dementia.
5. Describe three types of dementia.
6. What are the goals of management for Alzheimer’s disease?
7. What are other considerations that are needed in caring for an older adult in the Primary care setting?
8. Explain your non-pharmacological management of a patient with dementia.
9. List pharmacological management of patients with dementia.
10. What would you need to include in your patient/family teaching?