ESS 435: Physiology of Exercise
Chapter 6 Review Questions
1. What are the functions of the cardiovascular system?
2. What are the 3 major structures of the circulatory system? What are their main functions?
3. Describe the cardiac conduction system of the heart. In your answer, include: the structures that are involved, where are they located, and what do they do.
4. What is the difference between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems?
5. What are the three components of an ECG? What does each represent?
6. Describe in detail the two (2) phases of the cardiac cycle and what happens during each phase?
7. What is cardiac output? What 2 factors directly influence cardiac output?
8. What is the difference between systolic and diastolic blood pressure? What is a typical resting blood pressure?
9. How is blood flow redistributed during exercise (include numbers and percentages)?
10. Describe in detail the three (3) basic mechanisms that aid in the return of venous blood to the heart.