VNUR20360 Veterinary Medical Nursing
Academic Year 2021/2022
The purpose of this module is to prepare students for their involvement in the medical nursing care of equine and small animal patients (including selected exotic species). This includes information gathering, diagnostics, in-patient care and home care. Topics such as infectious disease prevention and control, fluid therapy and clinical nutrition will be emphasised. The teaching approach will involve a combination of lectures, tutorials, practical classes and self-directed learning. Assessment will involve a written case-study assignment, quizzes, and a practical assessment.
1. Identify methods of infectious disease transmission.
2. Recommend/discuss appropriate disease prevention and control protocols and any associated risks or limitations (including vaccination, the pet travel scheme/regulations, and isolation/barrier nursing).
3. Recognise/describe the clinical signs of common medical diseases and identify/explain their significance.
4. Identify the diagnostic tests required by medical patients and the sample types, equipment, and/or testing protocols required.
5. Develop your procedural knowledge, competency, and self-assessment skills in veterinary medical nursing practical/clinical skills. Including physical examination, injections & blood sampling (horses and exotics), IV cannula placement (small animals & horses), fluids set up/administration (small animals), ECG and Doppler set up (small animals) and dermatology sampling (small animals).
6. Accurately calculate fluid requirements and infusion rates.
7. Identify/discuss the inpatient nursing care required by medical patients (e.g. fluids, nutrition/feeding, medications, monitoring, comfort/physical care).
8. Identify/discuss the home care required by medical patients (e.g. dietary changes, medication considerations, environmental/lifestyle modifications, monitoring).
At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you with all the assignments, exams and MCQs of VNUR20360 Veterinary Medical Nursing. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.