VNUR20260 Farm Animal Nursing
Academic Year 2021/2022
In this module the student will explore a range of topics relating to Veterinary Nursing in Irish Farm Animal practice. The objectives of this module are to develop veterinary nurses who are competent to assist in private veterinary farm animal practice through a grounding knowledge in the nursing management of individual farm animal medical and surgical cases as well as a having an ability to advise farmers on herd/flock health matters. Practical nursing topics covered will be clinical examination and nursing procedures of the major farm animal species (mainly bovine and ovine), surgical nursing in farm animals and adult and neonatal nursing care of sick/injured farm animal species. There will also be an emphasis on developing a foundation knowledge in basic husbandry, infectious disease and parasite control and herd production problems such as mastitis, reproduction, and lameness. The teaching approach will involve blend of lectures, self-directed reading, and assignments. Assessment will involve a within- and an end- of- trimester Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs), mock phone call assessment and a written assignment.
1. Understand and learn about normal and abnormal clinical parameters in farm animals.
2. Identify equipment used in farm animal clinical procedures and surgery.
3. Outline some common nursing procedures (oral and intravenous fluid therapy, blood transfusion, blood sampling etc.) that are conducted in farm animal species.
4. Understand some common surgical procedures in farm animals and the pre- and post-operative surgical nursing care of these procedures.
5. Learn how to recognize common individual health and wellbeing issues in farm animals, triage these case over the phone and learn about the veterinary nursing care of these conditions.
6. Understand the appropriate husbandry and management practices for farm animal species in Ireland and how they underpin on-farm disease prevention and control.
7. Briefly discuss herd health issues that are of economic or public health significance and be appropriately equipped to advise farmers on them.
At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you with all the assignments, exams and MCQs of VNUR20260 Farm Animal Nursing. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.