Unit 4 Assignment Health Across the Lifespan
Review the 2020-30 Learning Health Indicators. (Use HealthyPeople.gov link for GA, if they specifying Marietta is the county ).Upon review of the information obtained in the Overview & Impact, Life Stages & Determinants and Latest Data tab for the area of focus you have identified, please write a paper answering the following questions:
• In reviewing the Life Stages & Determinants tab, what population within your community is affected the greatest by your topic?
• What progress has been made in regards to this identified issue; support with data from the Latest Data tab.
• How can this information be used to promote and improve the health of individuals, families, within your community?
• How do you see yourself applying this information as an advanced practice nurse? (my specialty is Family Nurse Practitioner)
• Write a 2-page summary (excluding the title and reference pages), answering the above questions.
• Include both a title and reference page (does not count toward final page length)
• Please make sure to follow APA guidelines.(7th edition)
Health Across the Lifespan
The issue of obesity in the County of Georgia is a major health issue affecting its residents. The adult population is affected by obesity. 31.6% of adults are obese in Georgia. Georgia County is currently ranked 19 for the most obese states in America. Nearly $200 billion as annual healthcare costs in the United States. Cases of obesity are associated with a lack of physical activities. Approximately 24% of Georgia adults do not participate in any physical activities as a weight management plan. The issue of obesity has adverse effects on the nation’s health and economy (Bray et al., 2018). It is linked to different health conditions such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, sleep apnea, and breath shortness, some cancers, and mental illness such as depression. Weight stigma is yet another social issue. Contributing factors involve genetics, physical and social environment, physical inactivity, poor diet, and child maltreatment.
Georgia’s working health initiative for preventing obesity issues involves the following. First, a healthier workforce initiative was established in 2016. This health initiative involves promotional programs on chronic disease management. Second, a business “take the pledge” wellness policies was created. This strategy focuses on three areas which involve breastfeeding friendly, Eat.Live.Health and tobacco-free. The toolkit for work health program involves developing worksites of integrating health programs and policies. The worksites provide step by step instructions on how to manage obesity cases. The policy development plan ensures community members are engaged in health prevention initiatives. Healthy goals in the community involve the prevention of inappropriate weights, especially to adults who are 20 years old and older. Some campaign programs aim at reducing the proportion of obesity cases by 10%. These are progressing that have been made to control obesity cases in GA.
Weight loss programs are effective approaches that can be used to improve obesity-related chronic diseases. Physical activities such as swimming, running, and walking can help in a weight management plan. Behavioral change is yet another approach that can be used to improve health conditions in GA. These involve exercising and dieting. In the cases of morbid obesity, physical activity is not effective in the management of obesity (Brown et al., 2017). Bariatric surgery can be used to manage overweight. Equally important, there is a need to lower the rate of youths experiencing physical and sexual abuse in society. The general population of GA is supported by health promotion, physical environment, regulations, and food policy. Also, there is a list of community resources that can lower obesity rates at the community level.
As a Family Nurse Practitioner, I will use the above information to improve health outcomes in a society. The following strategies will help me to address obesity cases among individuals in society. First, I would utilize the capacity of counseling in the healthcare system and increase the capacity of mental health services. Second, the above information can help me develop physical activities programs. I will would advise the obese population to adopt good dieting plan especially by avoiding too much fats. I believe behavioral changes recommendation can be promoted through community-based programs to integrate health conditions (Agha, 2017). Other appropriate strategies for improving health outcomes involve recreation activities and comprehensive resilience concepts. Therefore, the unemployment issue in society requires an understanding of such policies and strategies in nursing practice.
- Agha, M., & Agha, R. (2017). The rising prevalence of obesity: part A: impact on public health. International journal of surgery. Oncology, 2(7), e17.
- Brown, V., Moodie, M., Cobiac, L., Mantilla, H., & Carter, R. (2017). Obesity‐related health impacts of active transport policies in Australia–a policy review and health impact modelling study. Australian and New Zealand journal of public health, 41(6), 611-616.
- Bray, I., Slater, A., Lewis-Smith, H., Bird, E., & Sabey, A. (2018). Promoting positive body image and tackling overweight/obesity in children and adolescents: A combined health psychology and public health approach. Preventive medicine, 116, 219-221.