Discussion – Energy Drinks
Consumption of energy drinks (such as Redbull®, Monster Energy Drink®, and Rockstar®) among children, teenagers, and young adults has risen in the last decade. Emergency department visits relating to energy drink consumption has also risen (Thorlton, 2014). These drinks contain various vitamins and electrolytes, and other ingredients that alter the body’s fluid balance.
Research the effects these energy drinks have on the body and the complications associated with them. In your post, address the following questions:
· How do energy drinks influence the overall electrolyte and acid-base balance of the body?
· Should this multi-billion dollar industry be more highly regulated? Why or why not?
· Should energy drink companies be allowed to market these products to children? Why or why not?
· Should it be illegal to sell them to anyone under the age of 16? Why or why not?
· Should these drinks have a warning label on them? Why or why not?
Thorlton, J., Colby, D. A., & Devine, P. (2014). Proposed actions for the US Food and Drug Administration to implement to minimize adverse effects associated with energy drink consumption. American Journal of Public Health, 104(7), 1175-1180. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.301967