PATH30220 Rare Genetic Disorders

PATH30220 Rare Genetic Disorders

PATH30220 Rare Genetic Disorders 150 150 Peter

PATH30220 Rare Genetic Disorders

Academic Year 2021/2022

A disease or disorder is defined as rare when it affects less than 1 in 2000 individuals. It is estimated that there are between 6000 and 8000 rare disorders clinically identified. Approximately 80% of these rare disorders are genetic in origin, with infections, allergies and environmental influences accounting for the remaining 20% of presentations. Although individually rare, taken together it is estimated that these diseases may affect up to 157,000 people living in Ireland today and up to 30 million citizens of the European Union. There is a lack of awareness among medical professionals about rare conditions and more often than not, the diagnosis of these disorders in individuals is a long and grueling process for the patient.
This module is designed to enhance awareness of rare genetic disorders among future medical professionals. It aims to do this by creating a reflective and unique learning experience for students. This module has a strong clinical slant with representations by patient support and advocacy groups for rare genetic disorders. Selected rare disorders will be highlighted and the impact of these diseases on the patients and their families will be explored. The importance of research to the diagnosis and treatment of these disorders will also be covered. Economic and political aspects will also be discussed.
Students are required to attend lectures and seminars in order to successfully complete a reflective essay. Students should notify the co-ordinator in advance if they are unable to attend a session. Attendance will be recorded at lectures.

Learning Outcomes:

On completion of this module you will be able to:- Understand what is meant by the term rare disease – Consider the issues associated with managing patients and their families with rare genetic disorders – For selected rare genetic disorders, demonstrate scientific knowledge of the inheritance patterns and implications for family members and their children. – Appreciate the importance of research to diagnosis of rare diseases and the importance of identifying novel treatments for these orphan genetic disorders – Rationalise the current Governmental Health Policies and funding initiatives to support Rare Disease Research. – Identify the resources currently available for Health Care professionals to access information on rare diseases and identify the health educational gaps in this regard.

At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you in all the assignments, exams and MCQs of PATH30220 Rare Genetic Disorders. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.