1. accuracy and completeness of information (3 points)
2. clarity of presentation (3)
3. demonstration of deep understanding of presented problem (3)
4. correct use of apa convention (1)
Case Study, Porth
Blood Cells and the Hematopoietic System
Charlie is a 53-year-old man with non-Hodgkin lymphoma. His treatment has been only modestly successful in delaying the progression of the disease, and he has recently relapsed. His medical team decided to administer aggressive chemotherapy. Knowing that the intensive treatment would have a destructive effect on Charlie’s bone marrow, they removed stem cells from his blood before the chemotherapy began. Afterward, the stem cells were returned by IV to reestablish his bone marrow function. Answer each question completely, using at least 3 correctly cited references.
1. Outline the therapeutic advantages of an autologous stem cell transplantation on Charlie’s bone marrow and immune system.
2. Before harvesting stem cells, a cytokine growth factor is administered to the patient. What is the benefit of this procedure? Explain the therapeutic effect.
3. Non-Hodgkin lymphoma is a disease involving B and T lymphocytes. For what aspects of the immune response are these cells responsible? Explain their function at a cellular level.
4. When considering erythrocytes, describe how the body is able to meet hematopoietic demand in conditions such as hemolytic anemia or blood loss.
5. Construct a patho flow chart for Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Include effects on organs and body systems.