NMHS32400 Electroconvulsive Therapy Trai
Academic Year 2021/2022
The aim of this module is to provide Registered Psychiatric, General or Intellectual Disability Nurses currently on the live register with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland and working in a clinical service that provides electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) to patients; with an opportunity to acquire the necessary knowledge, skills and attitudes to competently care for service users who are receiving ECT as part of their overall treatment.
On completion the student will able to demonstrate:
1. an understanding of the role, knowledge and skills required to assess, plan, implement, evaluate and document the care of a service user undergoing a programme of ECT treatment including the care of the service user who has had an anaesthetic.
2. the knowledge and skills required to undertake Intermediate Life Support and the medication and equipment used throughout ECT procedures and in emergencies;
3. successful completion of the theoretical and practical components of the course (2 weeks clinical placement in Post Anaesthetic Care Unit) by examination /assignment
4. the ability to discuss the medical, nursing, professional, legal and ethical aspects of ECT as a therapeutic treatment and the wider debate surrounding the use of ECT;
5. the capacity to plan for safety, before, during and throughout ECT, to recognise and interpret abnormal clinical observations and to act upon these observations; and the procedure of reporting them to relevant personnel;
Indicative Module Content:
Intermediate Life Support
Legal and Ethical aspects of ECT, Rules governing the use of ECT and Code of Practice (Mental Health Commission)
NICE ECT Guidelines and ECTAS guidelines
ECT Procedures, Policies and Guidelines (Practical and theoretical including work in ECT suite, setting up, safety, equipment use etc)
Physical and Psychological Preparation of patients
Supporting and assisting medical staff, MDT working, roles of the Anaesthetist, ECT consultant, and other staff
Safe recovery – principles and practice
Clinical Placement: Theatre Clinical Placement with a focus on post anaesthetic recovery (organised by the student)
At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you in all the assignments, exams and MCQs of NMHS32400 Electroconvulsive Therapy Trai. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.