NMHS10440 Nursing Concepts and Values
Academic Year 2021/2022
This module aims to develop your professional awareness and Interpersonal skills. It introduces you to issues and concepts involved in the role of the nurse by exploring different aspects of professional practice. You will be required to engage in class discussion and debate and will be required to participate in e-learning activities, reflection and skills workshops.
Unit 1: Domains of professional competence will be explored and opportunities for personal reflection will be provided through class and group discussions as well as on-line engagement. An introduction to the language and methods of thinking that underpin ethical issues will be provided.
Unit 2 You will be introduced to some theories of and approaches to nursing that inform assessment, diagnosis of a persons need for professional nursing and nursing practice. Examples from clinical practice are provided and applied throughout the module.
Unit 3: Issues of interpersonal communication such as self-awareness, therapeutic communication, listening and attending, bridges and barriers to effective communication for nursing and midwifery will be delivered through large group teaching, directed learning, fieldwork and small group workshops.
On completion: the student will be able to
• Identify codes of professional conduct and standards for nursing practice as determined by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland.
• Discuss the legal and ethical concepts that inform nursing practice and provide examples of how ethical principles, analysis and decision making are applied in nursing practice.
• Explore values and concepts fundamental to nursing and identify how these values and concepts are expressed and applied in nursing practice.
• Summarize the main principles of two theoretical approaches to nursing and discuss how these theories strengthen and support nurses in the implementation of a holistic approach to the nursing process
• Describe how use of a professional practice model, a nursing assessment framework and standardised nursing terminology impact on nurses’ control over their practice and on their provision of fundamental nursing care.
• Utilise theory to exemplify high quality listening, attending and responding when interacting with others.
• Reflect on the quality of their interpersonal relationships developed while on clinical placement. Become aware of own strengths and weaknesses when communicating with patients/clients.
• Build on their interpersonal skills which were introduced in semester one. Utilise theory to develop high quality listening, attending and responding when interacting with others.
At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you in all the assignments, exams and MCQs of NMHS10440 Nursing Concepts and Values. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.