NMHS10400 Promoting Women’s Health
Academic Year 2021/2022
The aim of this module is to engage midwifery students in all aspects relating to the promotion of health in childbearing women. Concepts of health will be explored along with the philosophy and principles of health promotion and health education. A construct of wellness will be explored to identify the limitations of the traditional definition of health. The public health issues facing pregnant women, their babies and the complexity of factors which contribute to these problems will be explored. The link between the health of women and babies will be identified and explored. The role of midwives in health promotion and disease prevention as educators and promoters of women’s wellness will be explored.
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
• Define health, health behaviour, health education, and health promotion
• Define the concept of health, wellness, health promotion and public health in childbearing women.
• Discuss the health promotion approaches and methods used to promote health in childbearing women.
• Critically discuss the factors influencing health of childbearing women in Ireland and worldwide (physical, psychological, social, socio-economic, behavioural, cultural, ethnic/race, gender and environmental factors).
• Discuss the use of needs assessment in health promotion in childbearing women.
• Identify opportunities and strategies for promoting and achieving health at international, national, community and individual level
• Critically evaluate the role of the midwife in health promotion in Ireland.
Indicative Module Content:
• Concepts and definitions of health, wellness, health behaviour, health education and health
• Concepts of health promotion and public health
• Approaches and methods used to promote health in childbearing women
• Factors influencing health of childbearing women and their partners:
• Physical, psychological, social, socio-economic, behavioural, cultural, ethnic/race, gender and
• Sexual health
• Healthy Lifestyles;
• Preconception care
• Maternal and infant nutrition
• Obesity in childbearing women
• Exercise for health in childbearing
• Smoking cessation in pregnancy (Motivational Interviewing)
• Alcohol awareness, use in pregnancy and its affects
• Drug awareness and abuse in pregnancy
• Perinatal mental health promotion
• Promotion of breastfeeding in Ireland
• Breast and cervical cancer screening
• Education for childbirth – Adult learning, facilitating group sessions, teaching and learning
• Complementary therapies use in childbearing women
• Needs assessment in health promotion as it relates to childbearing women
• Strategies for promoting and achieving health at international, national, community and individual
• Sudden Infant Death Syndrome and its prevention
• Safe motherhood: A global perspective on maternal and child health
• The role of the midwife in health promotion
At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you in all the assignments, exams and MCQs of NMHS10400 Promoting Women’s Health. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.