Examine the Initiative on the Future of Nursing report (Robert Wood Johnson, 2011).
Four key messages:
1. Nurses should practice to the full extent of their education and training.
2. Nurses should achieve higher levels of education and training through an improved education system that promotes seamless academic progression.
3. Nurses should be full partners, with physicians and other health professionals, in redesigning health care in the United States.
4. Effective workforce planning and policy making require better data collection and an improved information infrastructure.
Recommendation 1: Remove scope-of-practice barriers.
Recommendation 2: Expand opportunities for nurses to lead and diffuse collaborative improvement efforts.
Recommendation 3: Implement nurse residency programs.
Recommendation 4: Increase the proportion of nurses with a baccalaureate degree to 80 percent by 2020.
Recommendation 5: Double the number of nurses with a doctorate by 2020.
Recommendation 6: Ensure that nurses engage in lifelong learning.
Recommendation 7: Prepare and enable nurses to lead change to advance health.
Recommendation 8: Build an infrastructure for the collection and analysis of interprofessional health care workforce data.
• Based on the readings from the report, post your responses to the following:
o Has your practice environment addressed any recommendation(s) presented in IOM’s Future of Nursing Report?
identify one recommendation that was addressed;
discuss why it was addressed;
discuss what action was taken to address it; and
describe the outcome.
identify the one IOM recommendation that you believe should be addressed in your practice environment; and
discuss why you believe it is important and what action is needed to address it, including what you can do.