Holistic Nursing Care of Women and Families
Postpartum Case Study
Name: Click or tap here to enter text.
Instructions: You will be split in various groups to discuss the Postpartum Case Study. You need to share out in discussion format (only one post per group) and then each student needs to individually respond to at least 2 peers who answered different questions.
J.C delivered a healthy male infant 2 hours ago. She had a fourth-degree laceration. This is her sixth pregnancy. Before this delivery, she was para 4014. She had an epidural block for her labor and delivery. She is now admitted to the postpartum unit.
Rubella: non immune
Bood type: A neg
1. What is important to note in the initial assessment?
2. You find a boggy fundus during your assessment. What corrective measures can be initiated?
3. J.C complains of pain and discomfort in her perineal area. How will you respond?
4. Three hours later, the nursing assistant assesses J.C. vital signs. Which vital signs would be of concern at this time?
T – 99.9 (37.6C)
Pulse – 120 bpm
Blood pressure 90/50 mm Hg
Respirations 16 bpm
5. What will you do next?
6. Two hours later, you perform another perineal pad check and note findings in the diagram. How will you describe the amount of drainage in your note?
7. J.C.’s condition is stable and you prepare to provide patient teaching. What patient teaching is important to include?
8. Review prenatal labs, do any need follow-up?
9. J.C. tells you she must go back to work in 6 weeks and is not sure she can continue breastfeeding. What options are available to her?