Mental Health Nursing
· For this homework, you will use a concept map to address the areas stated below. You may use a concept map template that you find online or create your own map. Your map can be as long as necessary due to plenty of information that must be included. Just make sure that it clearly shows continuity and organization of information.
· Refer to the grading rubric to receive the maximum points.
· Refer to your weekly clinical schedule for the due date.
Based on the ATI Real Life RN Mental Health 3.0, Module on Bipolar Disorder, develop a concept map that would include the following information.
PATHOHYSIOLOGY AND ETIOLOGY OF BIPOLAR DISODER
· Explain the physiological changes in the brain that result in the pathological signs/symptoms of bipolar disorder.
· Identify the etiology or possible causes of bipolar disorder.
· Identify the signs/symptoms that Susan exhibits during the manic episode of the disorder.
· Identify the signs/symptoms that Susan exhibits during the depressive episode of the disorder.
· Formulate two priority nursing diagnoses based on Susan’s S/S during the manic episode – decide, based on your clinical judgment, which two problems must take precedence over the other problems that Susan has (can be two actual nursing diagnoses or one actual and one risk nursing diagnoses ).
– Nursing diagnoses must be included on the current NANDA-I list.
– Actual nursing diagnosis must be a 3-part statement.
– Risk for nursing diagnosis must be a 2-part statement.
· Develop three client outcomes/goals for each nursing diagnosis (must meet the SMART criteria).
· Identify five appropriate nursing interventions for each nursing diagnosis.
MEDICAL MANAGEMENT OF SUSAN
– Identify the prescribed medications for Susan including their purposes.
– Include lab values that need to be monitored with each medication that you have identified.
– State the purpose of ECT and its mechanism of action.
– Identify the three preop medications (include the purpose for each one).
– Identify the common side effects of ECT.
Client /Family Teaching
· Identify five most significant areas that must be included when teaching the client/family regarding bipolar disorder (do not use the “you” pronoun).
· Decide the organization of the necessary information in your map.
· Make sure all areas are addressed in your concept map.
· Assigned work that is not submitted on time will have a 5-point-deduction per day.
· Student must receive a grade of 80% or better to pass (a failing grade will result in modifying work done or receiving a completely different assignment to make-up).
· A revised paper or make-up assignment will only receive a maximum grade of 80%.
· For this assignment, you can have a separate page for your references.