1. First watch the video below on Mendelian genetics and monohybrid crosses.
This week you are to discuss the experiments conducted by Mendel and discuss the role of transcription and translation from the Central Dogma of Biology that connects “genotype” to “phenotype.”
(1) Provide a general overview of Mendel’s experiment.
(2) What was the organism that Mendel studied (provide the genus and species name as well as the common name)?
(3) Why was this organism ideal to study the law of independent assortment?
(4) List one dominant and one recessive example for a phenotype that Mendel found and describe the phenotypic ratio expected to result from crossing two parents heterozygous for only that trait.
(5) In simple terms discuss gene transcription and translation. What type of molecule results from translation? How do gene transcription and translation lead to a specific phenotype? Most importantly for this question: what does transcription and translation have to do with the inheritance of Mendelian traits?
2. Why Bees are Disappearing, by Marla Spivac ( watch and comment
3. (2) Photosynthesis – Mr Anderson’s lecture ( Watch and comment)
4. How important is the protein called ATP synthase in this process?
5. Which ingredients are needed for photosynthesis and why?
6. Respond to the following post below with references.
(a) Provide a general overview of Mendel’s experiment.