The purpose of the activity is to provide students with the opportunity to compare & contrast two common but different hypertension clinical practice guidelines.
Activity Learning Outcomes
Through this discussion, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
Distinguish between the recommendations for hypertension management among recent hypertension-and disease-specific guidelines. (1, 2, 3, & 6)
Due Date: Original Post due Wednesday with Peer responses Due on Sunday, 11:59 MT of Week 3
The student must provide an initial response to the discussion topic by Wednesday, 11:59pm MT. Subsequent posts, including substantive responses to peer(s) and faculty questions must occur by Sunday, 11:59pm MT. A total of three substantive posts are required on three different days.
A 10% late penalty will be imposed for initial discussions posted after the deadline on Wednesday 11:59pm MT, regardless of the number of days late. NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0).
A 10% penalty will be imposed for not entering the minimum number of interactive dialogue posts (3) OR not posting on the minimum required number of days (3). NOTHING will be accepted after 11:59pm MT on Sunday (i.e. student will receive an automatic 0) .
Total Points Possible: 100
1. Do a web search to locate the current JNC8 and ACC/AHA guidelines for hypertension.
2. Compare and contrast the two sets of guidelines according to the following:
· Define the classes of hypertension (normal, elevated, stage 1 & stage 2) according to each guideline.
· What are the thresholds for initiating treatment?
· What are the treatment goals? (Hint: there may be multiple treatment goals based on certain populations such as diabetics)
· What medications are recommended to treat hypertension in the African American population?
· Discuss why one set of guidelines might be used over the other (i.e., is one superior to the other ?)