Module 2 Overview
During this module, the DSM-5 will be explored.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
• · Articulate the purpose and use of the DSM-5.
· Discuss the etiology and epidemiology of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders
· Describe clinical manifestations of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders
· Identify diagnostic and screening tools that can be used to evaluate patients with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders
· Describe the assessment skills necessary to evaluate a patient with schizophrenia or psychosis
· Discuss cultural variances that can impact treatment of a patient with schizophrenia or psychosis
Reading & Resources
· Text resource: Sadock, B., Sadock, V., & Ruiz, P. (2014). Kaplan & Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer. (Chapters 5, 6, 7)
· Text resource: American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author. (Section 1, and review criteria for schizophrenia and psychosis)
· Text resource: Corey, M. S., Corey, G., & Corey, C. (2017). Groups: Process and Practice (10th ed.). Boston, MA: Cengage Learning (Chapter 3).
· Text resource: Stahl, S. (2017). Prescriber’s guide: Stahl’s essential psychopharmacology (6th ed.). New York: Cambridge University Press. (Read aripiprazole, asenapine, chlorpromazine clozapine, haloperidol, lurasidone, olanzapine, paliperidone, quetiapine, risperidone, ziprasidone, and consider how these have been, or may be used, in the treatment of schizophrenia and psychosis.)
· Web resources: https://www.pbs.org/video/what-dsm-5-means-for-diagnosing-mental-health-patients-1376258365/ and https://www.ted.com/talks/eleanor_longden_the_voices_in_my_head and https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/schizophrenia/what-is-schizophrenia
Zachar, P., Regier, D. A., & Kendler, K. S. (2019). The aspirations for a paradigm shift in DSM-5: An oral history. The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 207(9), 778-784. doi:10.1097/NMD.0000000000001063
Kumari, S., et al. (2018). An assessment of five (PANSS, SAPS, SANS, NGA-16, CGI-SCH) commonly used symptoms rating scales in schizophrenia and comparison to newer scales (CAINS, BNSS). Journal of Addiction and Research Therapy, 8(3), 324.
PANSS (Positive and Negative Symptoms Scale)
· Module 2 Lecture Notes
Discussion: Participate in Discussion 2
Assignment: Read the assigned reading materials and watch the assigned videos
In addition to the items above, select a psychiatric-mental health disorder for your Disorders Paper that is due during Module 8. In the discussion forum labeled “Disorders Topic”, paste your chosen disorder. First come is first served; there can be no overlaps in topic. If someone has selected a specific disorder sooner than you, you will be required to select another disorder
Fully discuss the findings in the Kumeri et al (2017) article, summarizing the usefulness of each symptom rating scale. Explain which scale(s) you would choose to use in your practice to evaluate a patient with schizophrenia, and provide rationale for your selection(s).
Discuss the etiology and epidemiology of schizophrenia and other psychotic disordersDiscuss the etiology and epidemiology of schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders https://pronursingtutors.com/wp-content/themes/fildisi/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Nyagu https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/389a69cdae9d431fe450cc84bd4d5e58?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Module 2 Overview