Develop an outline for your 5-page research paper on the impact of culture in the health of a
specific US ethnic group that will analyze and describe health disparities, health behaviors and
health beliefs of the target group. Your outline should include at least 3 points of information for
each of the following required sections of your paper. Each section is worth 4 points (if fully
completed correctly) and 1 point for the reference page:
• Introduction to the U.S. ethnic group (see pg. 20 of textbook for definition of ethnicity). Define
the US ethnic group in terms of history, geography and characteristics
• Identify health disparities by comparing descriptive epidemiology of group to majority group or another group
• Discusses socio-economic, language, political, religious and other factors that contribute to the
• Describe all common health behaviors of the group with supporting and detailed evidence
• Describe commonly held attitudes, beliefs and values (health beliefs) by the group with
supporting and detailed evidence.
• Provide recommendations for improving culturally and linguistically appropriate services for
the selected group with supporting evidence and detailed support.
• Reference page. Use at least 5 scholarly sources (See chart table below regarding appropriate
resources). Websites may be included but do not count towards your scholarly sources. Do not
use .com or Wikipedia, rather, Use .gov, .org, and and. edu websites.
DO NOT QUOTE FROM YOUR SOURCES. WRITE EVERYTHING IN YOUR OWN
WORDS – SUMMARIZE AND PARAPHRASE. OUTLINES THAT INCLUDE QUOTES
WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
If you choose an ethnic group described in the book, you must provide new information. See Sample Outline, Sample Paper and also Chapters 9-13 for the type of information to include in your
Wikipedia National Institutes of Health
Ask.com National Institute of Mental Health
blogs Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
Sites where the goal is to sell something National Center for Health Statistics
Sites with no author and no clear affiliation Textbooks
Sites on a personal server U.S. Census Bureau
Sites where the goal is to influence one’s opinion U.S. Department of Health or Human Services