Nursing Education, Practice, and Scholarship
Nursing Education, Practice, and Scholarship Learning Outcomes
1. Describe the impact of nursing education on leadership in nursing.
2. Evaluate the difference between didactic and clinical applications.
3. Analyze the roles of scholarship and research as they relate to professional nursing practice.
Nursing education is the foundation of professional nursing, as it encompasses the need for growth and development. This week you will be discussing the impact of nursing education on nursing leadership. You will also analyze didactic versus clinical learning. Finally, you will assess how scholarship, evidence-based practice, and research impact professional nursing practice.
1. Professional Role Development Practice Experience: Reflection on Nursing Education.
As many healthcare facilities seek to demonstrate competency through practice; some are opting to reach magnet status. Professional nursing practice is the cornerstone of magnetism, although many hospital committees are forced to change from clinician-centered to patient-centered care. Magnetism requires that nurse leaders obtain at least a bachelor of science in nursing. This is forcing associates- and diploma-prepared registered nurses to seek bachelors and/or master’s degrees in nursing to remain relevant.
For this discussion,
• Reflect on the interview you conducted in Week Two and highlight some of the advantages and/or disadvantages of obtaining a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
• You should also include the following key areas of your Week Two interview: the interviewee’s year(s) of experience as a registered nurse, the trajectory of his or her current position, the impact of BSN education on her or his current practice, and the most important aspect(s) of the job he/ or he highlighted.
• Summarize your thoughts on the information you gathered regarding the impact of education on nursing advancement(s).
2. Didactic Course Versus Clinical Practicum.
Nursing requires a sound balance between education and practice, which provides an antecedent for evidence-based practice. Nursing philosophies lie in didactic instruction prior to practicing. As the guiding principle(s) of professional nursing practice, clinical practicum demonstrates how much information and knowledge the student translates into practice.
For this discussion,
• Address the questions of whether and how what you have learned in school is relevant to what you do on a daily basis.
• Highlight the key components of didactic coursework as covered in this week’s required readings.
Scholarship & Research in Professional Nursing Practice.
The professional nursing student has the opportunity to seek out resources available to obtain scholarships (payment for education in exchange for service) and conduct research that adds to the nursing knowledgebase. For this assignment, find a nursing scholarship that applies to your area of interest. Then, evaluate the resource, addressing the following points:
• Describe your area of interest (Week One problem).
• Identify and describe the scholarship, highlighting the qualifications, and demonstrate your qualification for the scholarship.
• Explain how the scholarship and your area of interest align.
• Discuss what the scholarship offers in terms of usable knowledge and skills.
• Describe how such knowledge can be applied in the job market, workplace, and in a clinical practice.
• Provide a conclusion or series of concluding propositions derived from the main points of the paper, addressing the impact the scholarship would have on your overall educational objective as a professional nurse.
Your Nursing Education, Practice, and Scholarship paper
• Must be two to four double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style.
• Must include a separate title page with the following:
o Title of paper
o Student’s name
o Course name and number
o Instructor’s name
o Date submitted
• Must use at least three scholarly sources in addition to the course text
• Must document all sources in APA style.
• Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA sty