Consensus Model Discussion
For this discussion, students will explore the elements of the APRN consensus model. Created in by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing in 2008 to promote near nationwide full-practice authority for APRNs by the year 2015, there are still several inconsistencies in its implementation with subsequent effects on healthcare access, cost, and quality. Critical Elements for a Class
Discussion: Refer to the assignment instructions for details on required content, word limits, required references, due dates, Turnitin requirements, etc. The instructions, rubric, and video are meant to work together to help you meet expectations and should not be used in place of one another. The following critical elements should guide your postings:
- This class is enhanced by our differences, and respectful dialogue is expected of all of your interactions with other students and faculty.
- Prepare for the assignment by reviewing the module content and resources. Students should demonstrate graduate-level understanding and analysis of the concepts and the relationships among ideas, identifying hidden assumptions or fallacies in reasoning. Students are expected to demonstrate the ability to apply the principles or concepts in the lessons to real-life situations integrating implications for advanced practice. Students should support their opinions with expert opinion through a deep dive into the literature validating thinking and/or broadening perspectives/understanding of the
- Cross posts should elaborate upon the ideas of others or content found in the readings/keynotes by adding details, examples, a different viewpoint, or other relevant information. The cross posts should provide original insights or responses that integrate multiple views. (Just saying ditto, I agree, or restating the original post is not considered elaboration.) There should be evaluation and feedback that assesses the accuracy, reasonableness, or quality of idea, and provides constructive feedback to classmates.
- The original post and cross posts should provide reflection and meaning by describing thoughtfully what the idea means, uncovering new insights. The cross posts should raise questions as to what needs further clarification or discussion. Personal or professional experiences may be integrated into the cross posts, but are not the sole purpose of the cross posts.
- The online discussion should mimic a thoughtful classroom discussion. Therefore, the student should demonstrate promptness and initiative in posting; the initial and cross posts should be posted by the due dates.
- The presentation of the post should demonstrate a clear and concise writing style appropriate to graduate-level work, utilizing appropriate terminology.
- Peer-reviewed references (meaning articles published in scholarly journals) should be your primary support in all posts and cited according to APA formatting guidelines
Assignment Directions: Click on the three-dot menu icon in the upper right corner to view the grading rubric for this assignment. Overall, points are awarded based on the quality of the posts and the degree to which the submissions contribute to the class discussion. Postings should reflect application of the assigned lesson materials. Peer-reviewed references, information from professional organization sites, and evidence (results of formal inquiry published in the literature) are your primary types of support and are necessary to develop posts as expected.
3 Discuss how regulatory, state, and institutional barriers to APRN practice affect (a) healthcare costs, (b) access to care, and (c) quality of care. Discuss and support each required factor individually being sure to include current research data and examples for each. Your discussion must identify specific barriers and illustrate how each of the factors listed above are affected as a result.
2 Discuss the status of the APRN consensus model’s implementation in your home state, state of residence, or intended state of employment. This section should include all of the following:
â—¦What title is used for advanced practice nurses in your state? List each of the
APRN roles that are recognized as well as any that are not.
â—¦Is the term “licensure” used for APRN roles in your state? If not, what term(s)
â—¦Is a graduate or post graduate degree required in your state to practice in an
advanced practice role?
â—¦Is national certification required in your state to practice in an advanced practice role?
â—¦Do APRN roles allow for independent practice in your state? Not independent? No authority?
â—¦Do the APRN roles allow for independent prescribing in your state? Not
independent? No authority?
/3 Choose and discuss ONE (1) of the following related to current APRN policy issues:
A. Summarize current information on the mental health status of healthcare providers. What effect does mental health challenges have on providers, the healthcare system, and the ability to educate new generations of providers? Describe a policy idea (federal, state, board of nursing, or organizational) that may improve the impact of this issue.
B. Discuss how current payment and reimbursement models hinder the ability of providers and organizations to address health disparities. Identify proposed changes to payment and reimbursement and describe how they work to address health disparities.
C. As pressure rises for the government to make pandemic-related telehealth flexibilities
permanent, discuss what other policy considerations are needed in order for telehealth to be effective at mitigating access and quality gaps. Consider factors such as broadband and technology access, reimbursement models, and cultural competence.
D. Discuss the potential of telehealth to mitigate treatment barriers in stigmatized populations (eg, HIV positive, mental health, behavioral health, LGBTQ+). Summarize current research that supports the ability of telehealth to improve outcomes in these populations.
E. Summarize up-to-date information on a problem that APRNs will increasingly face as a result of the pandemic (eg, opioid misuse, intimate partner violence, child abuse, decreasing pediatric vaccine rates) and explain how the pandemic increased its incidence. What policy changes are needed to address the problem.
5 Identify and discuss legislation regarding the APRN role in your home state, state of residence, or intended state of employment: What legislation is currently proposed? What previous legislation has been successful? What previous legislation has failed? Include bill numbers and titles if named. Cite and reference legislation in APA format.
/2 Summarize and share an example of nurses’ or APRNs’ successful participation in healthcare policy initiatives. These may be local, state, or federal examples and should be something other than the one provided in the keynote. Include a brief background on the issue, what the nurses did, and the outcome of their work.
/2 Substantial cross posts to at least one (1) other student who covered a different state than yourself. The cross post provides new or supplemental information to the original posting or raises additional areas for discussion. A new or additional peer-reviewed reference should be cited.
/15 Total Points
Additional Instructions for Discussions
â€¢Each student will submit an initial discussion post of approximately 750-1000 words in the discussion. Support your discussion with at least 5 references, the majority of which should be peer-reviewed. Primary references should be published within the last five (5) years. No title page is required.