BMOL40050 Advanced Cancer Biology and Pharmacology
Academic Year 2021/2022
This module covers advanced topics in cancer aetiology, epidemiology, prevention, disease stratification, and treatment. The module will discuss advances in therapeutic strategies (with a focus on targeted therapeutics) currently used or under development for the treatment of cancer. The module content will take students on a journey from the macro environment, populations, cancer causes, cancer prevention, to the tumour microenvironment, and then to the major current and developing cancer therapies with increasing use of tumour molecular subtypes and technology development for precision oncology.
The learning objectives of the Advanced Cancer Biology and Pharmacology module should enable you to:
1. Describe the major environmental risk factors for impacting risk of cancer development.
2. Understand the use of (chemo)prevention strategies to reduce risk of cancer development.
3. Critically evaluate existing and novel therapeutic approaches to cancer chemotherapy.
4. Understand & describe how knowledge of cancer biology can inform development of targeted cancer therapies such as immunotherapies & therapy selection: Develop an appreciation of how omics technologies are facilitating this process.
5. Describe the core issues, molecular approaches, challenges and benefits of developing targeted cancer therapies.
6. Understand how knowledge of the tumour microenviroment, tumour heterogeneity and drug resistance mechanisms affect drug efficacy, and need to be more comprehensively considered in future drug development to improve cancer treatment.
7. Describe how cancer genomics is implemented in clinical routine and clinical trials.
8. Describe Patient-derived tumour xenografts (PDX) as models for oncology drug development.
9. Discuss how the gut microbiome can inform development of cancer therapies.
10. Appreciate how Systems Biology and Modelling of Signalling Networks helps us to understand complex biology and to design novel therapeutics.
At Pro Nursing Tutors we have experts who can help you with all the assignments, exams and MCQs of BMOL40050 Advanced Cancer Biology and Pharmacology. Talk to us via the live chat button to get assistance.