ANATOMY ASSIGNMENT 2
Prepare a 2- to 3-page essay in which you address the following statements and questions:
Assume that an individual eats a meal consisting of complex carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Beginning with the mouth and ending with defecation, explain the mechanical, secretory, chemical, and contractile events taking place as the different foods pass all of the way through the digestive tract. Consider the following points in your essay:
· What are the four macromolecules?
· What is the function of the salivary glands, what do they produce and digest?
· How do we break food down mechanically and chemically in our stomachs?
· What are the sections of the small intestines? What two organs are connected to the duodenum?
· How are nutrients absorbed into the bloodstream?
· What substance is specifically involved in lipid digestion?
· Discuss the digestive function of the pancreas and enzymes involved.
· Describe the actions of the large intestines as waste moves through the organ (including bacterial action).