Module 6 Written Assignment
NUR 2063 Essentials of Pathophysiology
A 21-year old female (A.M) presents to the urgent care clinic with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and a fever for 3 days. She states that she has Type I diabetes and has not been managing her blood sugars since she’s been ill and unable to keep any food down. She’s only tolerated sips of water and juices. Since she’s also been unable to eat, she hasn’t taken any insulin as directed. While helping A.M. from the lobby to the examining room you note that she’s unsteady, note that her skin in warm and flushed and that she’s drowsy. You also note that she’s breathing rapidly and smell a slight sweet/fruity odor. A.M. has a challenge answering questions but keeps asking for water to drink.
You get more information from A.M. and learn
· She had some readings on her glucometer which were reading ‘high’
· She vomits almost every time she takes in fluid
· She hasn’t voided for a day but voided a great deal the day before
· She’s been sleeping long hours and finally woke up this morning and decided to seek care
Current labs and vital signs:
Case study adapted from:
Harding, M.M. & Snyder, J.S. (2015). Winningham’s critical thinking cases in nursing: Medical-surgical, pediatric, maternity, and psychiatric. Retrieved from: https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/ras/detail.action?docID=2072336.
· Summarize the questions above and formulate what may be happening with A.M. and how you would improve her condition.
Use two evidence-based articles from peer-reviewed journals or scholarly sources to support your findings. Be sure to cite your sources in-text and on a References, page using APA format.
Title of Assignment:
Module 6: Endocrine pathophysiology
Purpose of Assignment:
Complications from endocrine disorders can result in wide systemic effects. Analyzing disorders related to endocrine for the nurse is complex and orders provided to treat the client’s condition can sometimes be puzzling. Consideration of an endocrine case study will help the student learn the complexities of understanding the pathophysiology of an endocrine disorder
· Determine pathophysiologic alterations that affect the reproductive and endocrine systems
· Summarize the questions below and formulate what may be happening with A.M. and how you would improve her condition.
· Grading rubric can be found within Blackboard and on page 5 of this document.
· Use two evidence-based articles from peer-reviewed journals or scholarly sources to support your findings.
· Be sure to cite your sources in-text and on a References page using APA format.
· Two references.
· Write from nursing prospective